View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I know the Texans have had some bad extensions over the years (HWSNBN's comes to mind and now maybe Cushings too.), but they can't let Watt hit the open market. It would be way too big of a risk IMO! I'd rather they "roll the dice" and sign him early than "roll the dice" and wait until he hits the FA market.
Just F-tag him. No risk there. Plus, there's a built-in franchise tag now for 1st round picks, and Watt qualifies for it in his 5th year. They can use that and save the actual franchise tag for another player, if there is actually one that needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The idea is good in theory but a dangerous game. If you front load the contract, he may get used to making that kind of $. When the leaner years come he may ask for a new contract or push for an extension. Not everyone is Andre Johnson.
Yeah, I'm willing to bet Watt is that kind of guy. I know we have seen that behavior from *******s like MJD, Darelle Revis and such, but I think Watt's the kind of guy that will see it through. And honestly, it doesn't have to be insanely frontloaded, something that might work is 6 years 60 million, say 50% guaranteed and structure it like: 16, 12, 8, 8, 8, 8. 8 million is enough to keep a guy like him motivated. I know it's not a utilized strategy in the NFL currently, or at least I haven't seen anyone employ it consistently, but I think that's the way to go in this NFL. Spend on core guys early during rebuild, then use that money to get your team over the hump for about 2-3 years during your window of opportunity.