View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013   #82
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Bud Adams Passes Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I almost felt sorry for the guy. He made a massive mistake by moving a historical team with a loyal fan base. Then, after doing so, the city he left - Houston - built a massive, state-of-the-art stadium, which is what he wanted.

Then, the city of Houston's economy boomed, and the city became one of the wealthiest in the country, which meant that the NFL expansion team that came here eventually capitalized on all that wealth, and become one of the richest franchises in all of sports. Meanwhile, his team is in a small NFL market.

Bud was a human being, and no way could those things not eat at him. Especially since he continued to live in Houston.

And, it's not that he moved the team; it's that he did with with such venom: and took the name, continued to use the colors, insisted that no other team could use the Oiler name, etc.

I'm not originally from Houston, so I have no dog in this fight; but, I kinda feel bad for Oiler fans in a way.

But, oh well. Without Bud, I wouldn't have my Texans. So there's that.

Edited to add: my condolences to the family.
As a Canadian who cheered for the Oilers when Bum Phillips was coach, I feel as much bitterness towards Bud as Houstonians do. I cheered for the Quebec Nordiques in hockey & they were taken away from me a few years prior to the Oilers leaving. I always said I wouldn't let the NHL dictate who I'd cheer for. So when Bud moved the Oilers to Tennessee, there's no way I'd cheer for them; I'd contradict myself if I did (not to mention the loathing).

I'm glad I waited for the Texans rather than cheer for any other team. As far as I'm concerned, the Titans are fired