View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013   #2072
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Light at the End of the Tunnel

4 years ago I was feeling depressed and melancholy about the Houston Texans. It was the hiring of Frank Bush and the results of that decision that became my final straw. Today I am happy and exuberant because in recent weeks I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sure it may be a tough road over the next year and half but that is better than traveling the same road of the last 4 years. Change will be welcomed! I can now see the potential for a way to find the answer to Andrew Luck, playoffs and beyond the one and done.

For four years the Texans have started each new year with not enough salary cap to meet their minimum obligations. As a result they mortgage the future by restructuring contracts in order to complete a 53 man roster, practice squad and the other minimum obligations for that year. This has become a pattern of behavior over the last four years.

When all you can do is meet the minimum operation standards because of salary cap restraints, the team cannot get any better. After a few years of repeating the same process the team begins to decline and gets worse. Sadly with Smubiak, 2014 looks like more of the same and 2015 looks worse.

The Texans have also released or traded many players who they have not replaced with equal or better talent. Compound all of this with average to below average drafts and you have a recipe for the Houston Texans that you see today. The time has come for Kubiak and Smith to go. In the beginning I thought Gary Kubiak could be another mild mannered Texan in the mold of Tom Landry, alas I was wrong. Because of Kubiak's loyalty to his players and coaches it makes sense to me why some new contracts were done so early. The time for a new direction and level to the "Commitment to Excellence" has arrived.

One thing Bob McNair cannot afford to lose is the fan support. As this season progresses I think that will become Loud & Clear. My friendly fan suggestions are talk to Eric DeCosta, assistant GM for the Ravens who has been training under Ozzie Newsome for 17 years. Oliver Luck is smart but would he want to go against his son twice a year?

Head Coaches that deserve an opportunity, 1. David Shaw, his teams are always well prepared. 2. Jimbo Fisher, his teams are also well prepared and he reminds a bit of Jimmy Johnson. 3. Darrell Bevell, drafted Russell Wilson and wasted no time putting him into the offense, even after spending much money for other QBs in the off season. I find that intriguing.