View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013   #107
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Who do you want to start at QB this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I knew this was going to come up. Warren Moon is actually a perfect example, and Doug Williams proves my point. Both QBs entered the 1978 draft with high hopes. Doug Williams was drafted in Rd #1, Moon was not drafted at all. By 1978 the black QBs inability to play had already been laid to rest, and it's Moon who perpetuates the myth that there was something about the color of his skin that didn't get him drafted. What Doug Williams did for black QBs cannot be denied, but the door was already wide open for the black QB in the NFL. It just makes a better story to state otherwise.

Geez, Marlin Briscoe in the late 60s early 70s, James Harris in the early 1970s, Vince Evans was drafted a year before Williams, and my God, Joe Gilliam! That's just off the top of my head.

In fact, the scout's knock on Moon was the same as the knock on Keenum: neither QB played in a pro-style drop back and pass offense.
If knew it would come up,then maybe you should've done a better job of getting your facts together. Warren Moon played in a pro style offense and played well in college. Doug williams came out of a swac school. The examples you gave are poor because between joe g with the steelers and warren moon,there were countless black qbs who were told to play another position. Hell,charlie ward wasn't even drafted because teams thought he might play basketball and wasn't sure if it was the offense at fsu.Nevermind the guy had a cannon,was a natural leader,and was very,very, mobile. So when you say warren and doug compare to case,I think your wrong and getting wronger. As soon as warren got thru dominating the cfl,he was the highest paid qb in the nfl.case on the other have had 2 guys recently get drafted playing in the exact same system. Rg3 and kolb both were drafted high playing in that same system. Just like white and heupal played in the same system as bradford but wasn't drafted. Scouts can look past the system and look at talent.