View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013   #94
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 46648 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who do you want to start at QB this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Warren Moon is not a good example because of the whole racial thing going on back then. Warren is arguably one of the greatest natural passers to play this game. Back then,the higher ups questioned whether or not black qbs could qb. Look at doug williams.
I knew this was going to come up. Warren Moon is actually a perfect example, and Doug Williams proves my point. Both QBs entered the 1978 draft with high hopes. Doug Williams was drafted in Rd #1, Moon was not drafted at all. By 1978 the black QBs inability to play had already been laid to rest, and it's Moon who perpetuates the myth that there was something about the color of his skin that didn't get him drafted. What Doug Williams did for black QBs cannot be denied, but the door was already wide open for the black QB in the NFL. It just makes a better story to state otherwise.

Geez, Marlin Briscoe in the late 60s early 70s, James Harris in the early 1970s, Vince Evans was drafted a year before Williams, and my God, Joe Gilliam! That's just off the top of my head.

In fact, the scout's knock on Moon was the same as the knock on Keenum: neither QB played in a pro-style drop back and pass offense.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote