View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013   #52
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Don Banks: Kubiak appears to be out of answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Lete me see if I can try this another way:

Texan fan says, "This team can't get beyond a Divisional playoff game! Why can't they be successful like the Packers/Ravens/Colts/Saints??"

To which I was pointing out, none of those teams have any history over the last decade of consistently making it beyond a Divisional playoff game. Manning has done it only three times in his entire career, for Christ's' sake.

After only two years of getting to Divisional games, Texan Fan is stating that getting to Divisional games isn't good enough anymore. Then points to teams that rarely make it past Divisional games themselves.

It just seems like some people on here keep using the wrong model (teams) to express their expectations of what this team should be.

Talk about the Patriots. Talk about the Steelers. Focus on the organization, and not the QB that they wish the Texans had instead of Schaub.
I don't know who said the Texans have to get to the divisional playoff game every year to be successful; it wasn't me anyway. The original discussion was about being a consistent winner or threat. To summarize the record of the Kubiak Texans for his seven complete seasons:

Mean (average wins): 8.4 less than half of a game above .500
Median: 8 wins.
Mode (most common records): two each for 6-10 and 8-8.

This has been an average team, and this season is trending toward 8-8 or worse. It isn't about making the divisional playoffs for me. A successful team should be above average, or I don't understand how "successful" is being used. All of the win/loss stats point to just average and usually missing the playoffs. That is not a successful regime, even though they had a very successful season last year.

In defending the team, many say the Texans were "better than their record" for several of the seasons they missed the playoffs. To me, being a perennial underachiever is even more of a condemnation of the coaching. Any way it is sliced average results are average results.

All spin and homerism aside, the Texans are 2-4 right now with a tough schedule ahead. They are unlikely to get 10 wins or to the playoffs this year, which will really make the 12-4 record stand out as an anomaly. Are two playoff appearances in eight years - 25% - the mark of a successful franchise? I don't think it makes the Texans stand out as such.

A season after season expectation over average for this regime is a high expectation indeed.