View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre's thoughts on Keenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Why wouldn't you split the reps? I think Yates deserves a shot at a full game or two over Keenum, but he isn't exactly a proven commodity out there. He's had very little playing time at QB. That's part of my point about people making this determination that he is Schaub 2.0. That's unfounded. Someone explain to me why he doesn't deserve a full game of action? Is meaningless garbage time enough to make this decision? It seems to be for some people.

I don't think anyone hates Keenum around here. I don't see why they would, he is a University of Houston product that played well in the preseason. Having said that, there is a ton of "love" for him that doesn't stem from anything but conversation. It's not like he thoroughly outplayed Yates in the preseason, the two were pretty equal in their performances. From a statistical standpoint, Yates had a higher completion percentage and more touchdowns on fewer attempts. Yates had more yards per attempt as well.
Coaches don't split reps of guys they are convinced are thee starters. You want to get the guy you peg as the starter all the reps possible Yates wasn't splitting reps with delhomme and Garcia as a rookie. That's because he was seen as the unquestioned starter at that time.

You don't split reps like that if you are convinced about a guy because all you're doing is hurting his preparation. But if you think another guy could possibly start instead you split the reps because you want to give that other guy a shot and don't want to stifle his play.

As far as Yates play against the rams...I do agree that he'd likely be better, but when you are the back up qb on the team you can't come in and play that poorly. When you get your chances, you don't have to light the world on fire, but you need to seize the moment. I don't care what the situation is...if the starter goes down, and now you are the starter...that's it. Here's your shot. And as a third year player put in that situation, you need to perform better. For all he knows Schaub could come back and play and he may never get that shot again.

Like I said, I think he can play better but the situation looking gloomy or whatever is not relevant at all when you are TJ Yates and you've been given that opportunity. Lights are on dude. It's action time.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote