View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013   #48
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Don Banks: Kubiak appears to be out of answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
During the 8-8, 9-7, and 6-10 seasons, the incremental improvement, baby step, build the "right way" (haha) approach was praised by Kubiak's supporters. They claimed that was how Landry, Noll, Cowher and other legends did it, and it guaranteed a decade of playoff appearances for the Texans once that milestone was reached. We just had to be patient so Kubiak could add his name to the coaching legends list.

The argument that the league had changed as you describe above, as well as the need for faster progress, was not received well.

Therefore I find your post ironic.
It may very well be ironic, but I'm not one of the people who was comparing Kubiak to Landry and others. Even so, football bypasses even the most legendary coaches, like Landry. OTOH, if you think you have a coach or a GM with a vision, then why not give him an extended opportunity? McNair obviously thought Kubiak was one of those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Tell that to the Packers, Patriots, Colts, and Steelers...Ravens....Etc, etc...
This particular subthread has sort of taken off in a direction that I didn't intend. I didn't say it was impossible to have extended stretches of success, I just said it was more difficult. There is still a right way to develop your franchise, it's just very different from what it was in the Schula era, so the comparison is incorrect, IMO.

Lucking into a great QB seems to make a lot of average coaches good, and a lot of good coaches great. That is the main road to success these days. Even Belichick needed to get lucky with a QB to fully realize his own potential.

Ravens and Steelers from your list above are the only ones that can sort of meet the standard of prolonged success. The other three teams have had great QB's to build around, which makes things much simpler.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote