View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013   #45
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Don Banks: Kubiak appears to be out of answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Good question, since JJ contract is, I think, up at the end of next season. I'm guessing that's when it'll go down. If I had to guess, I'm betting that the Texans (who sill still have Kubiak leading it) will try and make a deal with JJ, and his people will say, "No."

No way will he waste his career here unless changes are made.
See, this is why I hate this particular issue being brought up, as most of the time the folks bringing this up don't point out the realities of his contract situation.

His current contract is up at the end of 2014, but there's a unilateral one year option that the Texans can exercise at an amount well below what JJ's market value will be. Without going into detail, suffice it to say that as the 11th pick in 2011, that 5th year for JJ will be considerably less expensive than if he'd been a top 10 pick. After that, there are two years that JJ can be franchised at reasonable amounts. The first year will be whatever the DE franchise amount is (in 2013 it was just north of $11 Million), and the second year it will be 120% of the first year amount. That second franchised year (2017) will admittedly be expensive, but it's likely still less than market value, and less than you'd be willing to let him walk for (even with the possibility of a compensatory pick).

So my point is the folks who are concerned about this either don't understand the situation, or are worrying about something that likely won't happen for another 4 1/2 years.