View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013   #74
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

I was watching the Michael Strahan episode of "A Football Life" last night (a good one, too!), and one of the interviews made me curious.

They were talking with Jim Fassel about his tenure as HC of the Giants. He led the team to a Super Bowl in 2000 and lost to the Ravens.

But, during the interview, he mentioned his assistant coaches. His Offensive Coordinator was Sean Payton. His Defensive Coordinator was John Fox. Both went on to be head coaches in the NFL with good success (both went to the Super Bowl and Payton's team won it).

We see amazing coaching trees from great head coaches. The legends of the game - Landry, Lombardi, Gillman, Walsh, Parcells, etc. - have very successful coaching trees, often with coaches that go on to head coach and win championships.

Which brings us to Kubiak. What kind of tree does he have after 8 years in the league? I guess we can count Wade, but his resume started well before Kubiak even became an assistant coach in the league. Who else?

I'm not trying to disrespect the man. In analyzing him as a head coach, though, it is obvious that he does not hire assistants that are better at their jobs than he is at his, and his M.O. appears to be to not hire anyone that will challenge him.

This is my perception, backed by NFL history and trends. The great head coaches in NFL history hire men who possess the potential to one day take their jobs.

Kubiak? meh, not so much.