View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013   #32
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Don Banks: Kubiak appears to be out of answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Pretty sure his point was not about them just winning it but the fact those teams are generally actual contenders year in and year out. We have not been that. We have been to the playoffs only two years and to be honest we tailspinned rather hard toward the end of last year so it's hard to say we were contenders. No one really gave us a hope and prayer of beating the Patriots for good reason. And if that was his point then he is correct.

Let's not act like we have reached those levels because we haven't. That's taking away from what those franchises have accomplished. It is what we aspire to be at this point. So saying today's market makes it hard to have continued success is partially true but if your organization has the right plan and execution it can happen. It just makes it more difficult for you to win Superbowl after Superbowl. Not be a true contender for one.
While I understand your point, there is a definite overtone to this message board of not settling for "just" winning the division and divisional playoff game. The definition of Successful around these parts has been getting to and winning Super Bowls. Mediocrity has been defined as the last two seasons. Good but not good enough.

And yet, when we point to the franchises that are the model we expect the Texans to emulate, they don't consistently get to the Super Bowl. Only the Patriots and Steelers can talk about being consistent over the last several years, and they didn't win them all.

IMHO, it feels like we are playing moving goalposts. Coming off of last year and the expectations it produced, we were not accepting "having a shot". Now that this season has turned into what it is, now "having a shot" is what defines a consistently good team?

Hey, I'm not happy about this season at all. I am a HUGE stat guy and even I can't spin the numbers this year to mean anything other than the Kubiak/Schaub era is done. I just find it ironic that the great teams have been redefined from "making a Super Bowl" to "having a shot at making a Super Bowl".

Sometimes I think Houston sports fans get the teams they deserve...
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote