View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013   #20
Fred
All Pro
 
Fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 884
Rep Power: 41183 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
How can you possibly know that Yates can't win games? Both Case and Yates have earned a shot, whether Schaub was injured or not. Yates more so than Keenum at this point, in my opinion.
How could we possibly know? How about almost a half season of sub par play in regular season / playoff games?

T.J. Yates Career Regular Season + Playoffs
Comp Att Comp % Yards TDs INT Rating
129 . 221 . 58% . 1443 . 4 . 9 . 67

Christian Freaking Ponder 2012 Season
Comp Att Comp % Yards TDs INT Rating
300 . 483 . 62% . 2935 . 18 . 12 . 81

Yates 221 attempts - almost half a season for a "game manager" offense (221 is 46% of Ponder's 483 attempts in 2012) for a QB rating of 67. Significantly worst than, well, Christian F. Ponder! (I am trying to set the bar pretty low!) Clearly this is Schaub's worst year by far, his QB rating is 79 (14 points below his career average) and a healthy Yates can't even touch that!

You say both have earned a shot. Yates has had a pretty good shot (half a season). Do the Texans have to burn another season and a half to be sure he is worse than, well Christian F. Ponder?!?! Then two years on Keenum, so if he is no better they shouldn't draft a QB until the 2017 draft because they "deserve" a shot?

Neither one deserves anything! Yates has had a shot, he blew it. I say give Keenum a shot, not because he "deserves" anything but because Yates and Schaub have failed and we have no one else. As I said in a previous post, Keenum probably will not be better than Ponder, but he is the only person on the roster with a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
My backup argument? What are you talking about? I said if you really like Case his best bet is the let TJ get smashed this weekend and take two full weeks to get ready. I never said you had to have the snaps but it certainly makes sense
You never said that? Then someone hacked your account:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs
Starting Case would show a lack of leadership and folding to ignorant fan pressure. At best if you are a Case fan you would want to give him weeks of snaps with the 1st teamers in practice so if he starts it should be after the bye
Some fans want Schaub, some Yates, some Keenum, some bring in someone else - so no matter who Kubiak starts he is showing a lack of leadership and folding to ignorant fan pressure. I am not a Case fan, I am a Texan fan. I agree with you, if I was Case's agent or mother I would want the situation you describe and I wouldn't care that the team took another loss in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Coaches tend to have more insight then fans.
Meh, sometimes. Maybe Keenum is butt fumbling in practice every day and the fans don't see that. But some coaches (think KUBIAK) can be myopic and the "fans" actually have a better view of the big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Once the decision is made to bench schaub........and jump over yates to Keenum.....there shouldn't be any going back to Schaub or Yates unless an injury occurs. I mean what kind of confidence does it inspire in your team when you as the coach can't even make up your mind who should be your starter at the most important position on the team?

Along with the fact that its still early in the season, and the texans arent mathematcally eliminated from the playoffs I think thats the biggest part of why Kubiak is prolonging making the move to Keenum..........as he should.
What nonsense, although Kubiak's "Schaub until I die" stance does back you up. Any non-myopic coach would have benched Schaub at the half in SF and had a week to decide if Yates or Keenum started against the Rams. If the starter flopped, he could switch to the other one after the bye or even go back to Schaub (tanned, rested, and ready!)

I think the strategy of only starting guys who have proven to be inept will hasten the date of mathematical elimination from the playoffs but I don't think that should be an objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Right, but neither does making panic moves either....and jumping over Yates..........the #2 qb......that you declared at the beginning of the season....in favor of your #3 wreaks of a panic move.....especially so early in the season. A big part of the reason folks declared Cleveland's season over was b/c they did exactly what you guys are advocating that kubiak do.......Furthermore, it's the last move he can make....he's gonna put it off as long as he can......cant really blame the man for that...
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but starting QB and backup QB are different jobs. A reasonable argument can be made that Yates was more appropriate for the backup job, but Keenum is more appropriate for the starting job.

A big part of the reason Cleveland won 3 games was they did the right thing. (They lost this week because their "#3" was injured and they had to revert to "#1"). Not making the correct move because you are afraid someone will think you panicked is truly caving in to the opinion of the masses. Obviously Cleveland made the correct move, but you are still saying it was a bad move because even though they won on the field they were criticized off the field.

And it's not the last move, especially with Schaub being injured. If Schaub recovers, he can be brought back at any time the other QBs performance per game is worse than two INTs (one a pick 6).
__________________
Warning! If this post does not appear to contain sarcasm, someone has probably hacked my account!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote