View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover 2014 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
As an LSU alum, be forewarned: if you're looking for more mobility, Mettenberger won't be an upgrade from Schaub in that department. His arm strength is legit, though.
I would agree with that. You got me thinking to dig a little deeper, not so much into Mettenberger but Farve. Here is an interesting sidebar from Kiper 91 "Draft Report."

Quote:
I had Brett Favre as the 17th highest-rated player in the 1991 NFL draft. In my final first-round mock draft, I had Favre going 21st overall to the Kansas City Chiefs (Kansas City drafted LSU running back Harvey Williams). In fact, Favre was not the first QB taken in 1991 -- Dan McGwire went 16th overall to the Seattle Seahawks. Favre was a second-round pick, going 33rd overall to the Atlanta Falcons (I had both McGwire and Favre with the same grade, 9.2).
Also in regards to Farve arm strength & mobility -
Quote:
He has a strong, powerful arm, throwing the 15- to 25-yard intermediate routes across the middle as well as any quarterback to come out in the last few years. The Southern Miss baseball coaches have practically begged him to play the last few years. In high school, his fastball was clocked in the 90 mph range. Delivery is outstanding -- he snaps the ball right off from his ear, cutting through the wind that is a factor to deal with in the late fall/winter months.

One negative I saw during practice sessions was that he tends to hang his deeper passes, allowing CBs the time to react and get in a position to make a play on the ball. Although not a scrambler, he can sidestep the initial pass rusher, and learn to deliver the ball accurately rolling to his right.

* This kid is a competitor, possesses above average physical skills, and did his damage against top competition during his four years as the starter.
In retrospect, does it really matter where you grade a prospect who you believe is a cornerstone (like Watt/Cushing/Brown) piece & get you over the top? Started this mock thread with Dane Brulger selecting him for Texans #17th but rated 41st overall & I don't have to tell anyone who reads this its still early in process & players will move up & down sometimes a lot between now & April. In the end I could see Mettenberger with a strong showing make his case as a legitimate starting NFL QB worthy of top 10 consideration, despite limited mobility. For a change I could see LSU beat Alabama & a big reason is Mettenberger, we'll see if he can carry his team over a well oiled Sabin machine & Manziel's Aggies. Plenty left to prove, it's early, I think Kubiak returns, not sure about Schaub?

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 10-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote