View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013   #171
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: These guys make millions playing a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
"wrongful booing" isn't exactly a criminal offense. It's low class, but just what "accountability" do you suggest? A warrant out for their arrest? A time-out in the Stadium corner? I think we as fans (and I'm not lumping the players in this), and the media are giving this way too much lip service. Yeah, it sucks so many people are just morons, but really, is it a revelation?
Vinny, I have booed at the stadium. I'm not opposed to booing. What is troublesome and a bit revelatory for me are all the fans' justifications for their behavior. Particularly, this concept that their jealousy justifies treating another human being anyone they choose. I've seen this a lot: "they make a ton of money, so ..."

I wonder how the same people making that justification would feel if minority groups practiced that mentality: "he's a white male-and has every privilege in society, so I'll steal from him if I want to... he still has more money than I'll ever have."

There was a lot of hate evidenced by the fans on Sunday. It's hard to put a finger on a specific action but it was clear. I thought it was ill-advised to boo Schaub at the beginning of the game (not sure how that is good for the team). I found it revealing that the loudest booing of the game was directed at Schaub immediately after the K.Martin fumble and TD return... There is something appalling about a group of people channeling all their frustration and anger towards one person, who clearly is not primarily at fault. I guess that's it- when the booing was no longer voicing displeasure at/towards things that are reasonable... once it was clearly about hate and no longer had logical merit, I think many people recognized something was very wrong.