Thread: Accountability
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013   #158
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Accountability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm not discounting what he did to help us get to the playoffs in '11, but the fact remains he only has one playoff appearance on this magical "resume" and the defense is what led that team in '11. Fact remains, you can't play in the playoffs when you're on crutches.

Also there's been plenty of QBs who were able to lift crappy defenses to a playoff appearance, That's just another excuse. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees routinely played on teams with defensive woes over the years, yet they still find a way to get to the playoffs. Andrew Luck joined a team that only won 2 games the previous year and led them to the playoffs as a rookie. So, yes it's a 53 man roster (like nobody here didn't know that), but a top QB can hide a lot of warts and a QB is NOT just another guy on a 53 man roster.

A top QB can elevate the entire team and Schaub simply can't do that, because he isn't able to hide the warts. He can't make plays off schedule to make up for mistakes and everything has to go exactly perfect around him in order for him to have success. The line has to make all their blocks, defense has to play up to par, receivers have to make great catches on what is now poorly thrown passes, and we now need a consistent running game.

That's all you have to hang your hat on, stats.. Nobody cares about stats when you're losing and while Schaub was putting up his stats during those seasons, most the time we still sucked in the redzone or had a costly turnover.. (Cardinals game comes to mind) and at the end of the day still always came up short. But, those seasons no longer even come into play, because yet again all you're doing is defending the old Schaub and that guy no longer plays here. That guy rode off on his electric scooter 2 seasons ago. You need to actually start evaluating the guy who's now playing under center and the guy who is now playing under center isn't very good and is replaceable.

I never argued Schaub was ever at Peyton, Brees, or Brady level. However, don't kid yourself... Schaub helped this team win a lot of games in 08 and 09 that they would've lost with a mediocre QB...

Still, the only reason I'm bringing up Schaub's history is because you have argued that he has not earned the resume to start over Yates... That is your argument, not mine.

I am very concerned about Schaub's play. It was awful in December and January last season... I thought he looked very good (despite some mistakes) the first couple games... I was extremely encouraged. However, the last six quarters of football have me worried about his arm strength, not to mention his mental and emotional health and the team's confidence in him. I can see this season falling apart if he does not get it together or if Kubiak stays with him too long.

All I am defending (in this thread entitled "Accountability") is the belief that Kubiak's decision to play Schaub this week is based on his desire and intention for this year's team to be successful. That's it. I'm not saying he is right. I'm saying his motives are, of course, in the right place... I think his decision is a reasonable conclusion given his current options, and I certainly hope it works out.