View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Sideline View Film/Video Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
"We", Coach Benton?

Actually, on B-gap looks, the Texans coach double-dueling. That's their philosophy unless there are mitigating circumstances in terms of the rest of the defensive front. It's not up for debate. The go through practice sessions with guards working the double-duel technique. I spent about 5-10 minutes after practice last year with Coach Benton speaking specifically about it and why they use that when it can allow interior pressure into a non-mobile QBs face.

Personally, I don't think Schaub is mobile enough or confident enough to have pressure in his face and respond well. I would rather block one and let him know who he (Schaub) is responsible for. That's just my mindset with this QB. Most teams are getting away from double-dueling because it is so difficult.
I'm not sure I quite understand all the things you want to say, LZ.

I do understand that it's their philosophy; I tried to go back from the start, and rewatch the first game as an example.

Certainly, it can be done, as Harris had pointed out.
It is something you expect of a veteran QB.

Rewatching the first game, you can see Schaub under those circumstances, and he made good decisions. Three or four or five times.
Nobody and nobody can say that the protection scheme was bad.

I do respect you guys for pointing out certain things;
I do learn; I try to learn about football, may be not everyday.

The philosophy, the way I see it, is for the QB to make a good decision.
Within your system, you narrow down certain instances that the QB might be subjected to a pass rush, and you want them to recognize those instances.

I hear you about perhaps it's not optimum with Schaub under center.
But it's like asking for Nirvana in this particular instance.

Schaub made good decisions in this particular protection scheme in the first game in three to five instances.

At this level, I don't think it "should" matter what kind of protection scheme you're in. You call a play from empty, your QB has to know how to respond to a blitz; no excuse.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote