View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rate these quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.
Rivers & Schaub were in the same draft. They're practically the same age. Jay Cutler was drafted two years later. Both guys came into the league as starters, Cutler had two franchises built around him & Rivers has had at least two teams built around him, the last two/three years has been a rebuilding process for them more or less. They've been losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball & not really doing a good job of replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.
My personal opinion is that for the last 5 games, Matt has been trying to come out of that conservative shell that we don't like. I think there are two ways to go from here.
  1. Schaub can push forward & continue to try to make plays & the rest of the team step up. This means he continues to push his comfort level & take more chances. He'll continue to make mistakes, there will be more INTs to come, most likely some pick 6es.

I know at one time we said we were ok with that. With a dominant run game, a dominant defense, & a bad ass punter, we should be able to overcome mistakes made by an aggressive offense.
  2. Schaub goes back to his old ways & the rest of the team step up. Very unpopular opinion, but Schaub played his average game against the Patriots in the divisional round. Foster (the OL) & the defense didn't step up the way we needed them to.

Schaub is definitely an anchor, slowing us down.... but not so much that he's holding us back. Well, if he remains as mistake prone as he's been this year he'll be holding us back if the defense doesn't stop allowing 70+ yard TD scoring drives & the run game can't keep us out of 3rd & long (penalties got us against SF moreso than the run game). But I'm blindly hoping he cuts way back on the turn overs.

Pleas don't think I'm absolving Schaub of any mistakes, blame, or responsibility. I've given up on him being better than he is. Realistically if the rest of the team does not step up, we don't have a chance. Schaub is Schaub. "Fixing" Schaub isn't going to get us "Peyton Manning" it's going to get us regular season Joe Flacco.