View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013   #145
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak sticking with Schaub - still named starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Was that the Ravens or the Niners game?

Sunday will be a disaster for this franchise. The fans have turned on Schaub. There will be zero room for error without incessant booing. And that will be from the 1st quarter on. How can Kubiak not see this? How can McNair not? How far is their heads up their arse to not see that benching Schaub is not the right move any way you look at it. I don't get it. This game should be on Halloween, because it will be a straight up horror show.
You're right, it could get really ugly. While just a very small percentage, the fans burning a jersey and showing up at Schaub's house are representative of something much deeper in the fan base. There is discontent stemming from frustration at decades of futility in this city.

The Rockets won championships and the Astros finally made it to the World Series, but this is a football town and always has been. Which is why decades of built-up disgruntlement are showing in the cracks of this fan base. It is probably not fair to put all of that discontent on one man's shoulders, but it is what it is right now.

McNair may or may not be aware of the depth of dissatisfaction in this city. He's not from around here, so while one can learn, it is much different than experiencing it. Much of the grievances among Houston football fans were planted into us as children. And there has been nothing since then to free us from the shackles of historical disappointment.

infantrycak and I have talked quite a bit about the difference in perspective and attitude among Texans fans that were old Oilers fans versus those that were Cowboys fans. Oilers fans expect the choke, never truly feel safe with a lead, and are just waiting for the other shoe to fall. And everything in our city's sports history has done nothing but sustain that attitude. Cowboys fans, on the other hand, were conditioned to never give up because those '70's Cowboys teams were known to come from behind and bring home championships.

Sunday could be the rumblings of a very sinister volcano about to erupt in Houston if the Texans come out flat and Schaub continues to meltdown. If they lose to the Rams, it might be the lowest point in Texans history so far. Yeah, 2-14 was bad, but we knew it from the beginning of that season. They fired their OC just two games into the season. This year we were drinking Super Bowl koolaide before being pimp slapped by the last four games.

Obviously, most of us hope this never happens and the Rams game is the beginning of a rebound. Even though I'm not a Kubiak or Schaub fan, I still want this team to win every game. Hoping for a crappy season to get the coach fired is not in my mentality. It's a betrayal that I cannot grasp.