View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013   #1222
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What is with you guys and this "experience" nonsense when it comes to Yates? Yates has one half a season, and you guys throw this around as if he is some 8 year vet that has been in multiple playoff seasons with huge performances on his belt. In that half season he had horrible pedestrian numbers and threw nothing but check downs. His experience showed that he was nothing but backup material.

And the whole "experience" thing is really overrated any way. Random QB's have popped up and had success quickly around this league for years. Warner had instant success, Rodgers had instant success, Wilson as a rookie had instant success, Kaepernick did as well. Hell, that guy from Cleveland (Hoyer) was tossing the ball around with those garbage weapons before he recently got injured. The league has made it easier for a bigger variety of QB's to be successful with the spread options working consistently. Experience is extremely overplayed here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I agree 100%. Based on what all you "experience " guys say you never make a change. Experience is only ONE factor and it really could be NO factor if you never learn anything. For some it is a brand new day every day. I think MS is at a point that even if he has an advantage in experience his physical skills are so debilitating that it doesn't matter.

TJ looks so much like Matt it is scary. Stats in preseason looked very similar between TJ and Case but the eyes said a different story. I remember at least two great long passes caught in stride that Case made. It very well may occur that Case is not ready but why not find out. I still am for either making all 3 active or preferably MS inactive so that we see TJ and Case play.
Two additional counterpoints to the whole "Yates has more experience" argument:

1. Schaub has ten years of experience. Is that helping him?

2. No one has any NFL game "film" on Keenum. That means no defense really knows what to expect from him (of course, neither do we) which, for a while, could work to his advantage. Defenses will have to play him honest until they get a bead on what his strengths and weaknesses are. Or they could blitz like crazy and hope he gets rattled. But that's what draw plays and screens and 3-step drop plays are for.

Time to find out what the kid can do.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote