Thread: Ben Tate poll
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was thinking a big part of the reason for Arian's low ypc, this year & last was getting those carries late in the game when we're trying to run out the clock. I was thinking if Tate were in there, he'd get more of those 2 yard carries, a few carries for a loss, etc...

Or I wondered if people still expect to see him break those 7+ yard runs at the end of games.

I do believe his numbers are better than Arian's, partly because he's a more direct runner. He's got true speed & real burst.... but he's also not getting a bunch of 3rd & 1s or goal line carries either.

So, if you're looking to trade Ben (which I don't think is going to happen) do you want to give him more carries, putting him in more of those "get stuffed" situations?
His ypc might go down, but his total numbers would go up.

Arians ypc have declined each season, but he's still thought of as a good back. I think with backs the gaudy ypc numbers on not as many carries aren't as impressive as a reliable guy with a lot of carries that's able to consistently churn out yards.

I think if the texans wanted to inflate Tate's trade value, they'd want to show that he can get the tough yards, be a good RZ runner, stay healthy with more carries....i.e the things you want from a franchise back.

But I think they are more concerned with winning games and they believe giving Arian a lot more carries is the best way to do that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote