View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs. 49ers Injury Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think this is bull. Would have been nice to see the "precautionary" measure before Sunday. Would have been nice to hear about it before the game. As we got neither, I believe this is Kubiak speak for, "We benched his a55 because he sucks!!"

He's found himself in a situation where he needs BenJones on the right side & don't want to tell everyone, "We've got no choice but continue to play Smith on the left side."

We could have saved $5M against the cap had we cut him, started Ben Jones (Q was the first choice) then get Menkins ready to play. Wade doesn't have it & hasn't had it for a few yeas now (imo)... pro bowl.. pfft, it was Andre Caldwell's name on the ballot, not Wade Smith's, but they gave Smith the votes.
Whatever your opinion of Smith prior to this year, Kubiak's recent statements make sense..............but the "precaution" should have been taken into consideration way earlier, prior to letting him back onto the field. His rehab period for the type of injury he sustained was obscenely short. Let me remind everyone..........this was a "minor" knee injury that turned into a severe knee BONE BRUISE.:

Quote:
Houston (CBS Houston) – The Houston Texans returned to practice this morning after an impressive showing in their first preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings, but concern came over the team quickly as it looks as if left guard Wade Smith’s injury might be worse than originally thought.

Smith wasn’t at practice all last week due to a knee bruise injury
and was replaced in the Texans’ preseason opener against the Viking’s last Friday by second-year veteran Ben Jones.

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said Monday morning that the team will reevaluate Smith, “The knee swell up on him and had a big bone bruise. (It) hasn’t responded the last few days the way we wanted it. We’re re-evaluating him; having some other people look at it. I’ll have more for you probably this afternoon or tomorrow morning.”
link

The next day, he was taken to surgery, and brought back to full action way too soon (3 1/2 weeks). I've chronicled very detailed implications of a true bone bruise in the Wade Smith injury thread after it happened.

When the term "shin bruise" was put out there, we waited for word on AJ to find out if he had a severe soft tissue "bruise" or a true "bone bruise," and it was eventually revealed that is was not a bone bruise, but only a severe soft tissue bruise. Even though AJ is still suffering its effect, the long-term implications of such an injury are much different. Damage of the internal matrix of the involved bone from bone bruise is naturally progressive, especially if not given sufficient time to heal. Internal bone healing is a slow process which is easily corrupted with continued trauma.

One may, for whatever reason, not be all that impressed with Smith's past performance, but his severe bone bruise injury and how it has been handled, has undoubtedly made a significant negative contribution this season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote