View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013   #1017
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Context, context, context. Time and place. Situational football. I think you understand the difference but you are just being obtuse.

I personally would have run or taken a kill shot but preferred to run. Last choice was the crap that they ran. And that's not hindsight. In fact, I shouted it out before the play took place. I simply don't trust Schaub not to screw the pooch so if he was going to throw a pick or toss it incomplete, I much preferred they toss it up to Hopkins deep, or some type of deeper pass. In that case, in the event of a pick, it's more like a punt. This was such a by the book move for Kubes.

Run the ball there serves multiple purposes. It's much safer, with much less chance of a disaster. It's very rare for a RB to fumble in a pile like that and a guy picks it up and runs it back to the house. So, it's very likely that a worst case scenario involves a change of possession. And it's less likely a fumble occurs than a pick of any kind. Statistical fact.

Moreover, a run keeps the clock moving. You either make them take the TO or burn time. Both are good. Also, our running game was looking pretty good. There was a decent chance for him to make a 1st down there. But if not, we have the best punter in the NFL who is likely to pin them back inside the 10 or so.
Im not being obtuse at all .... I would much preferred to have just run the damn ball and let Lechler do his job if they didn't make it , said as much multiple times in multiple threads.

But .... despite what we would have done should have done .... Its what Schaub did that resulted in a pick six and another L.

He never should have thrown the damn ball. That's the bottom line.
Taking a sack was the best option remaining - It kept the clock running or forced the SeaDucks to spend a time out , It gave Lechler & the defense the opportunity to do their jobs ..... while still having a 7 point lead and time getting short.

Option A run the ball
Option B take a sack
Option C throw it away
Option D throw a wounded duck in the vicinity of a defender.

Options A & B give relatively the same result - with option B giving Lechler more room to operate .... taking the delay of game penalty we would have seen the SeaDucks decline.

Option C doesn't run time off the clock but is far superior to Option D ....

Option D , Schaubs decision , obviously the worst of all his options even if its not run back for a score , the SeaDucks get a shorter field and momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post

So then you are impressed by someone shouting at the line pointing out who the Mike linebacker is? Is that all it will take for you to be entertained and think your QB knows what he is doing?

You completely ignored what I said. Manning can shout out the Mike linebacker all he wants, but if when the ball is snapped he instantly has 3 defenders in his face like what was happening to Schaub most of the 2nd half of the Hawks game, Manning will get sacked, throw incompletions, and yes, even interceptions. But you do not see that often because that line pass blocks really well. The same can't be said for the Texans OL.
If you think that's all he's shouting .... you don't know what you are watching.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote