View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013   #976
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

I don't know how much is on Kubiak and how much is on Schaub, but I think the conservative nature of the offense is actually hindering Schaub and the passing game as a whole. I'm no expert so maybe I'm way off here, but I feel like the offense is being so conservative that it is also making them predictable. I feel like it's all stemming from the "take what the defense gives us" approach. The Texans need to challenge defenses a whole lot more than they have been. Teams are catching on that the Texans are not going to throw deep or challenge them in any meaningful way. The Texans rarely even attempt to throw beyond the sticks on 3rd downs. All three of the recent pick sixes have been on short routes that the opposing teams saw coming from a mile away. We have Hopkins and Andre outside and speedy options in the slot, but teams know that Schaub is going to sit back there and dump off to the backs or hit TE's over the middle for 8 to 9 yards. Guess which team has the most TE targets in the NFL. Not to mention TE to WR TD ratio.

The worst thing any team can be is predictable. We need to throw some deep balls just to keep the defenses honest. Hell, send Martin on a deep streak and overthrow him by 10 yards just to make a point. Throw some jump balls to AJ DHop in the endzone, those guys are huge aerial threats going to waste. Our longest pass play this year is a short catch and long run to Martin that went for 32 yards. 32! That's actually pathetic. Yeah, that's good for 87th longest pass play this season, and I had to go to the 3rd page of stats to find it. If that doesn't scream predictable, I don't know what does. I really believe they have got to throw the ball deep to keep teams guessing and keep them honest.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote