View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013   #113
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Schaub couldn’t audible out of “very, very poor play”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
I read this, and while I agree with what you are trying to say, I would counter with what your polar opposites in I and others think:

IF Schaub does recover, what does he recover to? I've seen enough in 7 years to know his ceiling is a borderline GREAT backup caliber QB or a mediocre starter, who has shown the ability to effectively manage a game for good stretches, but by no means has been the engine that makes the offense run. I've seen enough in the past 10 games he's started to have a reasonable expectation that his ceiling has already been realized and is in the rear view mirror.

You can put insert name here into the QB position and still see relative success from mediocrity given the complimenting players at RB, WR, TE and a decent OL. I give you Sage Rosenfels. no better, no worse than Schaub was. Just didn't have as long at the helm. I give you TJ Yates. again, we are in that fuzzy line of great backup/so so starter.

IMHO, you better load up on toilet paper, because I don't believe he's as good as he was, nor will be as good as you think he is.

gary: Get rid of the GIMP!
I would argue that Schaub at his best, 2009-2011 for reference, is above average or at least good enough to get us through the playoffs. People rag on stats, but you don't put up the sorts of numbers he did in those seasons without playing good football. In fact, I still believe that we are in the SB in 2011 if he was under center for the playoffs.

That said, I'm not arguing that he has another 5+ years in the tank and will retire a Texan with multiple rings. We do need to address the QB situation for the future, but he's our best chance for now and that it's a better chance than people think if he gets back to form.