View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013   #1970
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: At what point does Kubiak run out of leash?

I liken Kubiak to a basketball coach that hasn't adapted to the fact that the 3 point shot has changed the game and made quick comebacks easier. You can't just run a 4 corners offense once you have a lead and expect to win every game.

I looked back over last season's games and saw that only 3 times in games that we won did we put up over 20 points in a 2nd half. 2 of those were the OT games where we had to come from behind to win and the 3rd was against the Titans and 14 of those points were because of INT returns for TDs. In the majority of the other games we had a good halftime lead and then went conservative to hold on to the win. In some (Miami, Jags, Balt, 2nd Ten game) that worked well and we won comfortably. Most of the rest were close games that we held on to win.

The NFL is a passing league now. Leads are as comfortable as they used to be. Atlanta was down 17 halfway through the 4th against NE and made it close and had a chance to tie. The hurry-up passing offense can be brutal on defenses. In theory the run the ball and use up valuable clock approach is great. When the offense executes correctly or the defense isn't geared up to stop it. It's a bigger strain on your own D if you can't keep a drive sustained and you force them to keep going out there against a hurry up.

Kubiak goes conservative at the wrong times. Usually too early. Yeah, we got a field goal at the end the 1st half, but it was because Carroll called the TOs and we had more time. If Carroll hadn't called the timeouts Kubiak would have let the half run out as is. It didn't matter that we had 3 of our own. At the end of the game when we should have been running the ball he calls for a play that everyone in the league knows to watch for. I realize Tate fumbled, but if you let him run the ball in that situation I think he gets a first down and we win the game.

We will win more games than we lose because we play some bad teams and we will win those. We also will beat a good team because everything goes our way. It should have happened yesterday, but we Kubiaked ourselves. In the long run, this team led by Gary Kubiak isn't a Super Bowl caliber team. We have the horses to get it done, but not the right guy leading the charge.