View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013   #139
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Brian Cushing "They aint gonna do it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's easier for an offense to make up for a bad half than a defense.

If an offense scores 0 points in a half but scores 30 in the other half, well they scored 30 points.

If defense gives up 28 in a half and pitched a shut out for the other, that still shows up as a bad game. Offense can more easily make up for mistakes and people look at the final result and go well we ended up with this.

On defense one slip up by a DB could mean 7. Short of scoring a TD themselves, there's no making up for that. And even then, you can't erase that 7 from the points scored against you.

There are several reasons that the comparisons between the two are silly.
I used the same argument in 2010. So I agree.

However, saying the defense played well enough to win that game is not true. We didn't win.

They pitched a shutout in the first half (we have to qualify this with "damn near"). Let's use that as our base line for a great game.

Baltimore's offense possessed the ball 4 times in the first half. They had 2 three & outs, a punt, & a field goal..... that's great defensive football. I'll take that as often as I can get it.

Of course, there was the pick 6 after their FG, then the ST touchdown.

In the second half, Baltimore had 4 possessions. They allowed an 80 yard drive for a TD (that's not good defense), a field goal on a possession that started on the Ravens 4 yard line (that's not good defense), a field goal on a possession that started on the 50 (the offense turned it over on downs..... that's good football. Not excellent, not great.... but eh... good). They did force the Ravens to punt on one of the 4 second half possessions.

At half time, the ToP was 18 minutes to 11. The offense doing what it needed to do to stay on the field (couldn't score a TD) & the defense doing what it needed to do to get the Ravens off the field (they allowed a score of any kind on 1 of 4 possessions). By the end of the game it was 30 minutes to 29.

The defense also earns a few demerits in the second half for 6 penalties for 42 yards. You're just helping the Ravens stay on the field even longer. 3 were for offsides/encroachment because they couldn't watch the ball. That's not good football.

Forget for a second that Matt Schaub "deserves" all the blame for this loss. Watch what happened in the second half, just the defensive snaps & tell me you saw the Houston Texans playing good football.

No excuses. Just watch that game again.... heck, go through the play by play & tell me the defense played a good game in the second half.