View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Remember when we all hated Kareem Jackson?

I hate watching Football on TV, especially when the commentator describes a play & he's totally wrong. I know at full speed it's difficult to determine what actually happened & for the most part, they do the best they can. What really gets me is when they show a play again & again in slow motion & you can clearly see the commentator was mistaken, instead of saying, "Oh, I was wrong, this is what really happened." They continue saying whatever it was they said originally.

I hate Chris Collinsworth, but he's usually pretty good about correcting himself when he's wrong. Dan Dierdorf, who I love, isn't.

On Kareem's first PI call, he says Kareem failed to turn around & play the ball. The replay clearly showed from two different angles that Kareem did in fact turn around & locate the ball.

They show another view (which I failed to take a picture of) that clearly shows an arm bar... a hard arm bar several steps before the ball got to the receiver.

There is a misconception among fans & commentators alike that a DB will be called for Pass Interference if he does not look for the ball. However, it is not Pass interference if the DB never interferes with the catch. Kareem shows us a good example of that here. There is contact with the receiver, but no interference.

This probably should have been called PI, since there is contact early but at this point I think it would have been "ticky tack" Even if Kareem would have turned his head, it could have been called PI if he makes contact with the receiver. Not only does he have to turn his head, but he has to be making a play on the ball. Turning his head while making contact with the receiver is still PI.

This is another example, provided by our friend Kareem Jackson. Again, Deirdorf cites not turning his head as the primary reason this is called pass interference.

But Kareem's head is clearly turned, looking at the ball, making a play at the ball with his left hand. What you can't see, is what he's doing with his right hand.

He's got a hold of Tandon Doss's wrist the whole time. That's pass interference.

If you remember some of my posts from the past, about Brandon Harris & the PIs he got last year, in one of them I stated I don't think I would try to correct them. If you can remember Harriss's PIs, they were all about him fighting for position with the receiver. One was within 5 yards of the LOS, or at least close enough that I thought it should have been a no call. The other, Reggie Wayne was trying to punk him & gain position. Harris held his ground & imo, he flag should have been thrown on Wayne.

Those PIs are about being aggressive & "defending" your position. I'll live with those. I don't want mice out there trying to play a man's game. I can live with a bad call, I'm not going to coach my players to play timid.

These, by Kareem are not the same kind. These are the things you coach your players not to do. Referees were really hard on the arm bar a few years ago, nowadays they usually let the guys play, but if they call it, you don't have a leg to stand on. The second, if they didn't call it a complete pass, they probably would have thrown the flag.... but it's ticky tack at that point. The third one, if you watch it all the way through, he not only has possession of the receiver's wrist, he pulls it down & pretty much throws Doss to the ground, making it extremely obvious.