View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013   #219
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 6301 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My son went to SFA for five years and said the exact opposite. All meals throughout the day and an extremely nice dorm were standard for football players. He eventually moved to an apartment as an upperclassman, and it, too, was fully paid by scholarship.

Not sure what schools you are talking about, but if SFA - an FCS college - can provide all of that, I have little doubt that the big programs are loaded with perks and nice facilities.

And he had access to the training staff year round. I cannot imagine that SFA is leading the charge in taking care of their football players.
I'm sorry I don't know where SFA is. I'm sure it's a fine school. My sons both went to FBS schools, different conferences, "full scholarships" and graduated as "5th year seniors".

You are correct when you say that the dorm or the Apt are fully covered by the scholarship, BUT the way it works is that if a kid lives off campus, his monthly scholarship check is around $950. He generally has a private room in a house or apartment----maybe a queen or kind sized bed. He pays his share of the rent, usually less than $400, and therefore saves more than $200because the University would deduct $600+ from his scholarship check to pay for the dorm. The dorm usually is a small-ish double occupancy room with two twin beds, two desk areas and two storage spaces. The walls are painted concrete block and there is one small window. There was a communal bath down the hall that was always in digusting condition. Theft would sometimes be a problem.

Furthermore, the student athlete would have to completely vacate his dorm for all extended breaks---Christmas, Spring break, the two weeks before summer school began---and move back in once school had commenced again. If the kid didn't have family in town, where was he to go? Maybe it was different at SFA?

The Athletes had one free meal a day at the training table---which would vary in quality from year to year and from school to school. Training table only occurred during football season. The rest of the meals were up to the student to pay for out of the remaining money from his check. During Spring or Summer scheduled football practice there was no training table but the school did give the players cards which would be good for one free meal a day in the student cafeteria.

Trainers were available all year, except school holidays---Christmas, Spring break, Etc.

Check with your son and see if this was not also true at SFA. I know the scholarships at D1AA schools are a little different, many schools offering only partial schollies. Maybe they make it up by giving the players better meals/accomodations?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote