View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013   #64
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How improve offense?

Honestly, at this point there isn't a ton of different things that can be done. My first preference was an offensive coordinator brought in to bring new life into this offense. Someone outside of the Shannahan sphere of influence so Gary can concentrate on game/team management and let someone else handle the offense fully. But not during the year.

So they have to work with what they have. I think TK brought it up but one thing I would like to see is more of an attacking nature to this offense. It seems we allow the defense to dictate what we'll do far too often and should be forcing them to adjust to us. It was one of the best things about the Chargers game. 3rd and long? No problem. We converted. We have to stop thinking 'We have a good defense so let's settle for punts and fieldgoals.' Looked like Kubiak was understanding this with the Chargers game but reverted to (as Jerome Solomon put it) Konserviak for the Ravens. Now how much of this is Kubiak and how much Schaub is debatable.

Secondly, throw the ball pass the markers. Yes, other teams throw short letting their playmakers make a play. Well...we're not other teams. We're not very high in YAC at the moment. Hop is climbing and Dre is in the top 25-30 and OD is like 19th or so. Those other teams like the Broncos have folks in the top five. Adjust to your personnel. If players are having issues getting YAC then throw it past the marker more. Mix it up. If you continually throw it short the defense will sit on routes and be there immediately to make the tackle.

For me right now the biggest offensive issue is that line though. They have been inconsistent all three games. First game Brown got manhandled. Newton has been tossed around in all three and Wade Smith is.....Wade Smith. So far Newton leads us in QB hurries allowed by Wade is giving him a run for his money! Really seems like they are racing to see who can get Matt killed first. Surprisingly Brooks has not been a big issue for being the only new piece on the line and Myers has been solid.

With that in mind if Brown comes back I would take Newton out and maybe Smith too if they have another bad game. It is time to make players accountable for bad play. Maybe such an action will light a spark in them because something has to. I don't see Matt surviving the year if this keeps up.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote