View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013   #193
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
See, this is why i have a problem with paying athletes.

Yes, i know it's a great opportunity to be able to play for that big state university with great Traditioni in front of 75,000 - 100, 000 people. But if you've got to go more than 1 state or 6 hours away drive time to play for them and you know your family won't be able to help you pay for seen and unforseen expenses...you probably need to rule those schools out when deciding where to attend.

All your post really does is highlight how important it is for these kids to stay as close as possible to whatever kind of support systems they have. When school is out, go home and stay with your parents....eat and get shelter for free instead of having to worry about how you're gonna feed & clothe yourself when your scholarship / pell grant money runs out and possibly putting youself in a bad situation by accepting monetary gifts. Most of these guys have that option....i'm sure arian had that option....yet he chose to hop 10 states away from san diego to tennessee & put himself into a situation he wasnt really prepared for.

The other thing that people arent considering when deciding to pay these guysall how much more the door gets opened to bribing these athletes to throw games...
See the case of art schlicter.
Sorry, I understand what you're saying but a lot of these guys need to get the hell out of dodge and stay there when they leave home for school. Back home is likely the last place they need to be especially on an extended break. Most of the kids he's talking about aren't really getting the true support they need at home anyway, probably come from down trodden neighborhoods, and need to be in a positive environment. Going back home to mom in Fifth Ward probably isn't the best idea for a kid even as much as he may love Mom.

I remember I would sometimes bring up to three friends with me in my little ass Honda Civic during breaks because they hated going back home that much. Most of them don't have crap to go back to. By the time I left school they'd be damn near arguing with each other over who would ride home with me because they knew my parents would give them hot food to eat every night there.

Edit: In regard to the Pell Grant, yes a lot of them were getting it, and a lot of them were sending money back home from it. Some people just come from really crappy situations and its hard to say whats going on in their lives. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I know its just not as easy as some are trying to make it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote