View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013   #187
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
First an apology: I haven't read all the posts. I have seen many threads like this one where all the "loyal" fans are vehemently against paying student athletes more money. Few realize that football players often do not have enough $ to eat---much less ask a girl out. I had a son who was on a D1 "full scholarship". He received $960 a month because he choose to live off campus. If he had choosen to live in a dorm, he would have received much less because the dorm rent would have been subtracted from the $960. Nevertheless, his rental cost him about $450 a month (dorm rents were about $600). That left him with about $500 to live in for the month---$125 a week. On top of the other school expenses that were covered, he had to pay for parking at $500 a semester, food (what do think it costs a week to feed a 250 Lb football player?) school supplies like computers, clothing, auto insurance, gas, utility bills, car repairs, cell phone, and off the field health insurance. He often was too broke to have a night out.

I'm not saying that we should pay these kids millions, but we should pay them enough so they can live comfortably on what they are given. I'm not talking new cars. I'm talking old cars. I'm talking enough money so that on top of the stress of trying to play football, and get good grades, they shouldn't have the added stress of wondering what they are going to do for food.

When I went to college, I worked my way through and graduated in 6 years. I wrestled for a couple of years, but had to give it up because I had to work----no schollies for Wrestling.

UCLA plays new Mexico State tonight. NMST is gonna get a whooping. But the school is going to make nearly a million dollars. The kids will get beat up pretty badly, but the coach makes a cool $500,000. The fans will have a great time, tailgating, drinking beer, wearing the colors, eating BBQ and watching the game. The vendors will all clean up. The players will get a soggy sandwich and a coke. Fair?
What about the Pell grant $$$$ that most athletes receive in addition to what you listed above.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote