View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013   #53
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Trojans did line up with 3 DLs some, but on very few snaps.
I watched nearly 20 of their games the two years prior to 'em LB entering the draft.

Cushing played a vast majority on the outside.
I'm not even sure if he ever lined up in the middle at the second level.
My memory might be faulty; there's always a chance of that, but I think that probability is quite low.
You're right. Cushing played SLB primarily. In 2007 USC created the Elephant (hybrid) position in order to get Matthews on the field because he was that good as he was backing up Keith Rivers at the time (Rivers a Top 10 draft pick). Because of the success they stayed with it in 2008. In the 4-3 Matthews played DE and in the 3-4 he played ROLB. When USC was in a 4-3 in some passing situations Kaluka Maiava would come in for Cushing. The Trojans when in a 3-4, LBs would line up, Maiava-Cushing-Maualaga-Matthews. Actually to be more technically correct Carroll used a 5-2 much like Wade's D with Matthews on the End standing up and Cushing and Maualaga were the 2. Much like the way Carroll is using Bruce Irvin in Seattle. The 2008 USC Defense is considered one of the best defenses of all time.

Last edited by Texian; 09-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote