View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013   #178
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

I used to be of the school of thought that student/athletes taking money was a horrible thing. I no longer believe that.

Many of the problems that we face as a country is due to the combination of ineptitude and gross corruption in our higher education system. A whole generation is drowning in (non-dischargeable) student loan debt for degrees that are absolutely worthless to them. This is because colleges have gone on a spending/hiring binge so they can raise their tuitions to capture the student loan subsidies that the government hands out. (I realize this paragraph belongs on a different board, but it leads into the rest of my thought on the subject. Now, to tie that thought in to the topic: )

The reason there is no meaningful playoff system is the corruption inherent in the structure of major college football. None of the petty lords want to give up their little fiefdoms. And it is no accident that a monster like Sandusky operated out of a college campus. Oversight and accountability are foreign concepts to academics.

Colleges make vast sums off the free labor of athletes. Much of that money funds the gory excess noted above. In the meantime, they want to limit what athletes make so that more colleges, theoretically, can profit off the college football money machine. The UVA's and Kentucky's of the world don't want every major athlete going to Ohio State and LSU, so they have these rules to try to eliminate the athlete's ability to make money. Yes, the kids can get a degree, but most of those who actually manage to earn degrees end up doing nothing substantive with them.

I don't begrudge a kid from a poor background (or, any background, for that matter) doing what he can to make a buck. It's against the rules set up by an exploitative monopoly, but I don't consider it a morally wrong act. If someone wants to give them money, I don't have a problem with them taking it.

Colleges and college sports are moral cesspools. I wish I could quit watching, but I no longer care if a kid is trying to get something for himself.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote