View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013   #46
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Total BS.
Says who? Your responses make perfect sense by someone whose thought process is clouded by their own optimism and a belief that the Texans can do no wrong. That's perfectly understandable but it doesn't make it TOTAL BS.

Okoye's own college coach passed on him. If there ever was a consensus of who was the best player it was Patrick Willis. In fact Okoye's college accomplishments were not much better than average and ordinary. His Combine was better. In fact Okoye was a draft pick based on pure potential. 19 yrs old, 300 lbs and strong. He was suppose to get bigger, stronger and faster because was 19 but he didn't. What's the old saying Drafting based on potential will get you fired. Potential certainly doesn't = BPA.

Brown was drafted by Gibbs because of his run blocking and athletic ability to make back side blocks needed in the ZBS. Brown was drafted for Gibbs running game. A LOT is usually drafted for pass pro abilities. Brown's first 3 years in pass pro were atrocious, some of the worst in the league, his last 2 have been very good, this year hasn't looked so good.

Frank Bush made the decision to draft Cushing early in that season. In 2009 the Texans were in desperate need of another pass rusher. Clay Matthews was clearly the better pass rusher and athlete. You just can't ignore his 1.49 10 yd split or multi generation DNA. Cushing at USC was often on the sideline during passing downs, replaced Kaluka Maiava. For many, (including me) Matthews was clearly the BPA.

Kareem Jackson was a David Gibbs (now out of coaching) and Rick Smith pick. Jackson prep school (because of poor grades) transfer was deemed by a few scouts as the most ready for the NFL in a very weak CB class. That came mainly from being a Saban DB and Saban being a former NFL DB coach under Belichick. Evaluators have learned that is not so much the case today. Jackson stats and performances were for the most part middle of the pack in the SEC. Athletically Jackson was slightly above average. Jackson's first (3) years were woeful. Last year Jackson played well against passes under 20 yards but was still having problems with passes over 20+ yds. There were at least a half dozen players who were considered BPA over Jackson.

I understand optimism and do no wrong thinking to a point. In 2009 after firing Richard Smith (who had no experience as DC) and with several accomplished successful DC available, Gary Kubiak does NOT do (1) interview before hiring Frank Bush (who had no experience as DC), told me Kubiak's commitment to his friends exceeded any commitment to excellence. That's when I lost my optimism and thinking the Texans did no wrong.

Last edited by Texian; 09-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote