View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Game Week -- at Baltimore Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I just came across a somewhat disturbing Texans stat...........after 2 games, the Texans D ranks last in total tackles!
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics...

Wade Phillips has a pet peeve when it comes to stats

Quote:
“You’re getting into my pet peeve here about tackles because, when they show them in the league, they show this guy makes this many tackles, and Cushing’s 33rd in tackle or something like that,” Phillips said. “But those are press box stats, which really bothers me. We’ve played two games and they count individual tackles, which I think they’re pretty close on, but assists are so far off and the total tackles makes it look like one guys and another guy, it’s like Cush, he’s got two assists. He’s got more of that on our account.

"I’ll give you an example, one team in the league has 66 assists and we have 10 and another team has 60. There are two teams that have only two assists in two games. What I’m saying is the press box at whatever game, Indianapolis has played two games at home and they’ve had 77 tackles and 66 assists, and the teams they’ve played have had 80 tackles and 50 assists in those two games. It makes it look like those teams’ players are making a lot more plays and it also makes us look like we don’t have people running to the ball and getting to the ball. ”

Wade's rant ended something like this:

That’s bothers me that they put out yardage, touchdown passes and all of those things, and those are accurate," Phillips said. "But those assists are not accurate and, if I were a player, I would be upset about it because it looks like, wow, this guy is leading the league in tackling when you may have just as many tackles.”

In a nutshell, league awards are based on statistics and Phillips feels that his players are being shortchanged. Total tackles are being skewed by an inaccurate count of tackle assists.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote