View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013   #102
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
They arent special
Not picking on you, Ellis, but I see/hear this argument all the time. I always tell people to think about that in reverse. If they aren't special, then why the hell are they getting an education just because they can play a game really well? Maybe I play tiddlywinks really well, but no one offered me a free education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
While this is true, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush & these kids don't have the foresight to see that.
I don't have a problem with the acknowledgement that an education may well be worth far more than whatever compensation they receive immediately, philosophy degrees notwithstanding. But forcing people to take pay in the commodity of your choice is not something I can get with. As I said upthread, this was the genesis of currency in civilization - convertible commodities.

If the kids want to skip college, I'm OK with making more room for scientists, mathematicians, etc.