View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013   #93
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I am going to go drink some chai tea and meditate now.
While this is true, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush & these kids don't have the foresight to see that. That free education they're being offered but don't want will pay for itself 10 fold once their careers are over........ if they go ahead & graduate that is. to To be honest, They're really getting more than that when you sit & think about it. Universities have to feed, house and take care of these kids medically while they are there. That easily runs into the10's of thousands over a 4 year period...So the university rakes in a few million a year...that gets eaten up pretty fast taking care of 53 man roster on a football team, basketball team, baseball team & whatever else team the university may have.

Now while guys like Johnny Manziel might ultimately be losing money in this regard, that 3rd string punter on the same team is actually running a deficit for the university b/c i'm damn sure nobody is there to see him play or are offering him money & endorsement deals. & there are way more 3rd string punter student athlete types than there are Johnny Manziel mega star athlete types. Then once you factor in how uneven the money is from sport to sport (football vs any other college sport), The potential for inequities between mens and womens sports which i'm pretty sure is a violation of title IX, its just turns into a big mess.

So bottom line for me, i don't feel sorry for any of these guys talking about paying rent & having to buy food. Those are problems that they create for themselves, they don't have to have those problems. Stay in the damn dorms and eat on the meal plans the schools offer you if you can't afford to do anything else...Tired of hearing the excuses these dudes have for doing something they know they shouldn't be doing.

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote