View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013   #80
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Students who get jobs for money get ... money.

Athletes who work a whole extra job do not.

I wasn't suggesting they get paid by the university but how about make the rules the same for all student athletes? If they can teach in the summer time or outside of football season then let them just like tennis players.
Athletes also don't have to pay $60k a year for tuition and costs.

I'm not against college football players being able to coach during the summertime. I'm against the university paying student athletes so we are in agreement there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If I'm on a physics scholarhip and I want to make money on the side tutoring math or freshman physics I can. Can a football or basketball player "legally" hold a make money by holding a football or basketball camp?? Hell, I bet they can't even "legally" get paid to participate in someone else's football or basketball camp.

I worked at UPS all through college myself but would a football coach or basketball coach let his star QB or point guard make extra money by working an extra job? A real job... you know what I mean...

And between classes, practice time, working out, and studying his playbook, when would there be time for a side job?

I'm all for a system that provides some sort of stipend or some compensation for the money that these kids bring to the school.

Now what an equitable -to the kids and to the school - system ought to look like... I'm still working on that part.
Sure, if you want these kids to get a stipend, I'm all for it as long as they eliminate the full-ride, housing, meal plan, etc. In that sense, I'm sure the benefits they receive outweigh any stipend they'll be receiving from the university.