View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013   #71
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.DuB View Post
I rarely ever comment but I just wanted to comment on some of the things said..

College athletes do get a lot of free benefits (gear, food M-F, education, tutors, books ect...)

But to say that some dont need extra money to survive is kind of foolish. A lot of people on here claim to have played ball or know someone who has and If that is true, you should know that Student-Athletes need a little extra money on the side for food and incidental things we take for granted (soap, deo, underwear ect...). The school does not pay for these things. Yes all athletes get free food at the dining halls but they dont have time to go there all the time. These guys are up at 5-6 am for practice, then they go to school, then some of them study, and then more practice.. There is not time for a lot of trips to the dining hall. Most of them take in a high amount of calories so they need extra food in their dorms/apartments to supplement what they eat at the dining halls. Also, every school is different and some athletes are allowed to live off campus after they reach a certain classification (Jr or Sr at my school). So maybe Arian lived off campus and ran out of FinAid money for rent (happened to me twice). We dont know Arian's situation but if he was as poor as he has stated before (MANY college athletes come from poor families) then I can completely understand why he took money.
Back to my previous point, what makes the athlete's struggle any different than any other student's? I mentioned personally knowing students that have had to work and go to school in order to pay for the necessities. They worked very hard, if not harder, than most college athletes I know. The athletes already have many perks. Free food, housing, etc.