View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013   #16
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It didn't work, unless you just want to bring up the recruiting angle which is nothing that I ever debated. Mack is and was a great recruiter. He brought the program out of the shambles and was good for that, but that is where it stopped.

Mack Brown was about to be out of a job and VY came along. Texas didn't do so well with Vy right away and admitted that they had to stop coaching him for him to take over college football. Then they had Colt McCoy where they lost 3 games in his first two seasons and were under achieving again, because they were losing games they shouldn't have lost. Muschamp came along and got the entire team whipped into gear. The team played with a sense of urgency and attitude right away and could have gone to two National Championships.

But how is a system like that going to work long term when and if your coordinators are successful they end up having to leave? You're always hiring new guys and eventually it isn't going to work and then you're in a huge hole. And how can you "want" a HC that can't coach at all and is some sort of CEO, but he is the guy making all of the big decisions?? A coach is supposed to be able to coach. He should have to have the best coordinators just to have a good team.

Watch back on those years before VY and Texas could never win the big games. Mack was known as that until Vince came in and changed it all. But as a coach Mack always held the team back except for when "he didn't coach" and left his main player alone.
lol. Again, not sure what we are even debating about. The only way the system works is if you make the right hires under you. I said that from day 1 and knew what was on the line with the Harsin and Diaz hires. Neither here today. And big time playmaking QBs tend to have an affect at high profile schools don't ya think? Ala Johnny Football.

Which is why I would love for Briles to be a top candidate because I cant name 1 coach who has a better run right now at QBs than him. He is an offensive machine, especially at developing QBs.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote