View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is status of D Brown

Part of my previous TURF TOE post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A player with a grade 2 turf toe injury presents with swelling and pain during weight bearing and often guard against passive dorsiflexion. They can many times be shot up, taped, given an unyielding insole, and returned to finish the game. The typical football player with a grade 2 turf toe injury may or may not be placed in a boot for just a couple of days, then treated with the same regimen as for grade1 (except longer) and will miss one to two weeks of competition but may have persistent symptoms during games or practice upon returning to play.

Since in a grade 2 injury the player will definitely know when it happened, I suspect that Brown sustained this type of injury. But they may try to have him "rub some dirt on it" and shoot him up and try to treat him as a grade 1. I hope this is not the case and he has only a grade 1. Even with a grade 1, they need to give him at least a couple of days of rest from practice. Of course, we'll see.

I would rule out grade 3 (complete tear) in Brown, as this is an excruciatingly painful injury that you cannot be shot up and return. This injury typically takes 4-6 weeks to heal....if it heals at all. If it doesn't, surgery is necessary, leading to a good 3-4 month rehab.

From a Dave Zangaro article published this evening:

Quote:
Duane Brown’s status is uncertain as the Texans head into their Week 3 game against the Ravens. He’s suffering from turf toe.

Brown is wearing a walking boot on his right foot and will for a day or two. He isn't sure if he'll practice this week.

"That's what it looks like right now," Brown said on CSN's SportsTalk Live about being a game-time decision. "We have practice tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. We'll just see, man. I really can't tell you how it's gonna work out. I'd love to be out there at Baltimore this weekend. But I really don't know right now."

Brown said turf toe is an injury he needs to be careful to not re-injure.

"I need to be smart with it," Brown said after his television appearance. "I'm not trying to rush back but I want to get back as soon as possible."

Brown played in 78 of 82 snaps on Sunday. After left guard Wade Smith rolled into his right foot, Brown missed just four snaps. He had his foot taped and returned for the rest of the game. He said when it first happened, his ankle hurt but that pain eventually subsided. He said his adrenaline helped him get through the game.

"Doing pretty good," Brown said on STL. "Had a bit of a scare. Had someone fall on me. Injured my right big toe. It's a pretty bad case of turf toe. Just taking it one day at at time, see how it heals by the end of the week."
If the Texans and Brown are not "smart" in bringing him back, he may soon find himself dealing with an extension of his tear, possibly to grade 3.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote