Thread: The OLBs
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013   #166
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't think we are playing contain either, but i don't get your comment. If we're going to play contain, it'd make perfect sense to do it against those two guys.

Edit: nvm, I kind of understand what you mean
There are time to contain and there are times to let loose.

I first learned about this when I read a book, in which the author recounted their interviews with coaches on how to minimize the damage that a guy like Barry Sanders can create.

These young mobile QBs represent the same challenge.
Also, the Titans have CJ, and the Vikings has AP, etc.

I paid more attention to the scheme, and it's always there with Wade ever since he joined the Texans.

Mercilus wasn't in the shape to do it last year (something I suggeste d after the draft.)

Mercilus and Williams had the quickness, but not the strength of Montgomery, in their respective first year. I've always thought that Mercilus has the better ceiling due to his explosiveness off the edge.

Barwin and Reed are solid players, not playmakers.

As a DC, I would certainly tailor my scheme to let the solid players do what they do best, if I can enhance the opportunities for my playmakers to make plays. The concept, at its core, is quite simple.
Make the best use out of the talents on your team.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote