View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013   #1154
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans. 9/15. Noon. CBS. **Official Liberty White Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Thats what I wanna know. Im sure people thought alex smith was good enough until we saw 1 for 13 on 3rd downs in the nfc championship game
Of course he's good enough. "Can" and "will" shouldn't be confused. Lesser quarterbacks have won championships and better quarterbacks haven't.

I'm not sure why this argument is happening now. He is the quarterback and nobody who is intellectual honest believes either Texan backup gives them as good of a chance to win this year. I am all for critical analysis, but I find this a peculiar time (week two and undefeated with two comeback wins through the air) to discuss potential, future roster upgrades, which is really where this argument leads.

Can we all agree that the Texans will need Schaub to play much, much better than he did the last six weeks of last season?... Also, can we agree that Schaub has played long stretches of very good football as a Texan?

I agree with your assessment of Schaub's limitations (arm and feet). Schaub has a good release but is a long strider which gets him into problems when he has pressure in his face. I don't think, however, that his limitations are greater than his assets as a QB. Sure, there are 5-6 Qbs I would much rather go into the playoffs with and another 4-5 I'd prefer looking at the long term health of the franchise. So be it. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

I am very encouraged by what I have seen from Schaub so far. Even today, I thought he looked very poised given the number of issues the team had in pass protection as well as getting separation downfield. I am a well known Kubiak apologist- but I thought Greg Williams destroyed him today... It took a series of great, athletic plays to pull that game out. I think most of the offensive woes today should be attributed to scheme- particularly Kubiak's predictable protection schemes and reluctance to go max protect on blitzing downs.

Schaub appears fresher, stronger, quicker, and more confident that I have seen him since 2009. If we get the 2009-10 Matt Schaub throughout this season, we have a very good chance of reaching the Superbowl, IMO.