View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013   #20
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bud Adams in the Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Not really Dan. A lot of revisionist history in his role in the formation of the AFL.
However you want to slice it, he's a co-founder of the AFL, the announcement literally came from HIS office, not Hunt's. The Billy Cannon deal is one of the things that helped convince the NFL that the AFL was a serious contender for talent.

I won't invite the man to dinner anytime soon, but he held a pivotal role in the formation of "today's NFL".

If Art Modell, (who had rabid fan support in Cleveland and moved anyway) can be considered for the Hall, then why not Adams? Sure, the Oilers moved, but fan support had grown non-existent. Last Browns home game attendance? - 55,875 Last Oilers home game attendance? - 15,131 The Browns had a worse record to boot.

Revisionist I'm not. I may hate the man for the way he handled things in H-Town (from demanding upgrades we're still paying for to moving anyway, to not releasing the Oilers name), but he still helped make the league what it is.