View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013   #43
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts About Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I personally don't get on Wade about being stubborn, is because I just don't see it. I don't think we played zone any more in the second half than we did in the first.

If the guys on the TV say we're playing man coverage doesn't necessarily make it so. It wasn't true in the Patriots game, it wasn't true in Monday night's game.

IMO, the biggest difference was who was playing what. Instead of playing Manning on the line & attacking the QB (like he did with 7:13 left in the first half) he put him on Antonio Gates in the second half.

Instead of Brian Cushing as the primary blitzer, like he was saying in the first half, he dropped Brian into coverage in the second half instead of Mays.

That one pass thrown past Brooks Reed for the TD..... I didn't see any other, could have been beat if Brooks had not let Matthews get into his route free. He should have put his hands on him, slowed him down.... that play wouldn't have happened, had nothing to do with the defensive play call.

As far as McCain getting beat in man coverage.... I said in another thread, that I've never seen Eddie Royal run so many routes so well. That is not his game. He was a second round bust, because he couldn't run anything but a go route. I would have expected him to hit us with a go route at some time during the game & I can't think of anyone other than Brice McCain who'd be fast enough to play him man-to-man. If I'd have known he was going to be running routes like that I'd have put the more physical Kareem on Royal, or Brandon Harris.
I stopped reading after your first statement because even Wade Phillips came out and said as much as we played a lot more zone in the second half. You obviously don't have a clear understanding of defense in professional football.