View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013   #41
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts About Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Or the missed tackles. Both Cushing & Watt got their hands on Matthews plenty of times in the backfield, just wasn't able to bring him down. One in particular made Cushing look silly as he faceplanted into the ground. One minute, Matthews was there, next minute he wasn't.

Normally we expect these guys (Cushing & Watt) to make those plays.

Personally I think the missed tackles has something to do with the nature of the practices with the new contract agreement. But if that's what the players want, less contact at practice, they need to bring it on game-day.

Week 1, just like week 16.
Truth. It was very sloppy out there. Those are things that can be shored up as the players get into game shape. Game is physical enough I don't blame them for not wanting to knock heads all week long, but you're right they need not forget the fundamentals on game day.

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard on the radio that Cush improvises a lot out there, going off script and making spur of the moment decisions that maybe puts the defense off balance on some plays? And yes, I do understand the 'read and react' nature of a defensive player, but if certain schemes are called and he is out there freelancing, then that could also be tempered by a simple coaches meeting. Not trying to be controversial again, I don't have a source for this, just something that's coming to mind.