View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013   #18
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 25856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

The two thing that I knew that would go into decline this season are Schaub and the Defense. After the SD game maybe there's hope that Schaub can improve. But the defense is still a glaring concern for me. SD biggest weakness is clearly their offensive line and yet we applied very little pressure at Rivers.

I watched the game from Palm Springs Ca and is mostly Chargers fan over there and after the game listening to their local sports radio folks were feeling upbeat even after a loss, particularly about how their offensive line held up in pass protection. I'm sick to my stomach hearing how they think their line stonewalled our Dline pass rush.

But my biggest issue with our defense is our Db's still don't play the ball when it's in the air, particularly on man coverage. J.Jo use to play the ball all the time when he was in Cincy. In his first year in Houston he played the ball most of the time. In his second year game after game I noticed he's playing it less and less. That long passing play Rivers completed in the beginning of the 2nd half Joseph was stride for stride with his man. The ball was in the air forever. Joseph never once look up but contend to play the receiver instead. If he bother to look up the ball was there for the taking.

If Johnathan Joseph, a player whose always played the ball in his entire career, switched teams, then gradually loses that habit, is that on him? Or is that his coaches not emphasizing that on their players? Does anybody have any recent memory of one of our Db's playing the ball on a long pass? Next week against the Titans I can guarantee there will be a long completed pass or a pass interference flag against our Db's because they didn't bother to look up at the ball. I just hope it doesn't cost us the game.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote