View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts About Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I really can't agree with a single assessment thus far in this thread. I feel the stubbornness of Wade Phillips to Blitz every other down is what got us into this mess in the first place. Of the 49 times Rivers was sacked last year, 35 came when rushing 4 or less. The guy can't deal with defenses dropping 6 into coverage, and yet, we sent 5 or 6 every other play. In addition, sending Swearinger to safety blitz is taking Danieal Manning's greatest quality away from his skill set, playing near the LOS and blitzing. I understand Ed Reed being out directly affects that decision but we have to be able to generate pressure without the blitz.

Phillips didn't adjust until after the opening TD drive in the third quarter, had he done so after the first 15 minutes we'd be singing a much different tune.

While I think this game plan will be much more effective against Jake Locker with his completion percentage woes, Phillip Rivers isn't the QB to play that game plan against. He sees single coverage matchups too easily and was picking on McCain and Reed.
This too! ^^^

Everyone on here is so quick to jump on Kubiak's stubbornness on offense, but I don't understand why Wade gets a free pass. Wade's frequently repeated blitz & man-coverage is equivalent to Kubiak's persistence to stick with the run.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote