View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's up with Brooks Reed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'll say this about the game last night: For whatever reason after the Chargers went up 28-7 they pretty much stopped utilizing their deep passing game, which was pretty brutal for the first 2 and a half quarters of the game. They switched to short dinky stuff that had the ball out of Rivers's hands in about 2 seconds or less, which makes it almost impossible to get a sack or even a good pass disruption. The thing is, Joseph and Kareem can cover guys for just 1 or 2 seconds, those two get in trouble when we go all out blitzing and are left on an island for 3 or 4 or even 5 seconds. The first half it looked like the Texans pass rush was getting stoned and Rivers could pick where he wanted to go, but the second half there was no real long ball threats and they went with all short crap. They also pretty much abandoned Ryan Matthews who was actually looking not bad in the first half and decided the second half offense was going to run through Eddie Royal (Another bad decision).
One main factor in the change in SD's passing game is that the Texans started mixing in heavy doses of zone coverage and did a decent job of disguising it.

Just about any starting CB tandem can cover 1-3 seconds but not much longer and any starting tandem will get burned on an all out blitz that doesn't get to the QB.

Brooks looked OK to me. He got burned on the TD, but that was a very good call and the vast majority of LB's will get burned by a RB in that route.

I was all for moving Reed inside next to Cush until I saw Mays playing like his hair was on fire.

As the season goes on, I would like to see Merci moved to Reed's side and Jefferson come in at Merci's in passing situations.