View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013   #800
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB (Yates named #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Do you think the texans are spending money just to spend money? Why if tj/case are as good as you say then why are we keeping Matt in there? Tj was well overhyped in his season fill in role and to the preseason the two would have to crush 2nd and 3rd tier Ds to impress me
No, I don't think the Texans are spending money just to spend it. They locked Schaub up based on the belief that if he'd been healthy for the entire 2011 season, the Texans might've been Super Bowl champs. They also signed him to a smart contract (Smith is apparently smarter than Kubiak because his "smart" stuff pays off) that doesn't hamstring the team too far in the future. They can cut or trade Schaub after this season and not owe him a dime.

Schaub has a penchant for wilting under the bright lights and pressure of big games. Maybe this year he'll turn it around and do great.

Yates did pretty dang good for a rookie 3rd string QB in 2010. About as good as one can reasonably expect. He's improved a lot since then.

Keenum has a knack for the position and seems to thrive in the same under the same circumstances Schaub wilts under. He's shown himself to be a very quick learner and that shallow learning curve showed itself this preseason when his natural talent and ability took over and the game seemed to slow down for him.

Schaub may very well play lights out and lead the Texans to a Super Bowl victory this season. That's not a good reason to downplay the quality of the two guys behind him. If Schaub goes down this season, Yates will be up to the task. I haven't felt this good about the backup QB position since Rosencopter was on the team.

I'm as unimpressed by your opinion of Yates and Keenum as you are with them.